- Full Time
This is a remote position and we welcome applicants from across all of Canada.
We strive to make healthcare better for all by making it easier for digital health innovators to succeed.
WHO WE ARE
MedStack is on a mission to bring more innovators to healthcare. We are:
- an award-winning startup funded by prominent VCs
- a successful graduate of 500 Startups, the Creative Destruction Lab and Dreamit Health
- a TechCrunch Disrupt Top Pick for cybersecurity
- one of Canada's Top 20 early-stage technology companies by CIX
- named one of the Top startups disrupting healthcare in Canada by PwC and CB Insights
Our business is a subscription-based platform, but we are also an ecosystem, a community that champions startups and entrepreneurship. We embrace automation, collaboration, startup empowerment, and creative problem-solving. Our customers work with us and with each other to tackle the world's biggest problem: making healthcare more efficient, accessible, economical and effective, at a time when the world needs it more than ever before.
WHO YOU ARE
As we are scaling our technical team rapidly with an ambitious roadmap, at a time when digital health innovation and data security have never been more important, we are seeking an empathetic, inspirational and driven Engineering Manager.
The skills you bring:
- Top-notch communication skills (verbal and written) in a leadership setting
- Experience and familiarity with leading in remote team settings through video conferencing, collaboration and document tools
- Deep demonstrable passion for engineering innovation and creativity and good code practices
- Genuine interest in mission-driven entrepreneurship and “social good technology”
The background you have:
- Experienced in coaching and managing performance and compensation of Software Engineers in a small startup environment
- Experienced in recruiting, hiring and onboarding of these individuals
- Extensive background in cloud software development in general, including open-source stacks, security considerations and large public cloud deployments
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
You, as a successful Engineering Manager, will:
Directly manage a team of 5-6 full-time Software Engineers of various areas of technical focus, working remotely across Canada
Manage, with inputs from the team, resource allocation, capacity planning, hiring planning and team delivery schedules
Lead by example, representing the culture and values of the company and enabling lowest-level decision making while actively removing roadblocks to ensure continued progress and productivity
Drive quality improvements in both culture and output, and actively participate and reflect on technical decisions and collaborations
Act as primary advocate and champion of your team and its credibility to the rest of the company and management
Plan onboarding (first two weeks, 30/60/90) of new employees, ongoing performance coaching and learning reviews and objectives and career planning through dedicated reviews and 1:1s
Plan and manage compensation packages, skill assessments, learning opportunities, and progressions of team members
Continuously manage and optimize knowledge sharing within the tea
Lead with industry knowledge and awareness of external practices and technologies relevant to supporting the team’s success
MORE ABOUT US:
The problem we solve:
The healthcare industry (hospitals, insurance companies, public health, clinic networks, pharma providers and distributors, and patients themselves) is beholden to strict requirements for data privacy and security requirements that it then applies to its digital health vendors. These complex requirements slow the development and adoption of important solutions.
At MedStack, we provide a new way for digital health to be built, implemented and scaled, faster, more efficiently and with data privacy protection at the centre. Have a look at how we think about the problem we are going after.
The solution we deliver:
Our core offering is MedStack Control, a turnkey compliance solution designed to help healthcare innovators integrate out-of-the-box, proven privacy and security compliance guarantees in the way the industry requires them, thanks to pre-designed cloud security, policies and attestations. Because of our platform approach, every one of our customers helps make our offering stronger for every other.
How we go about it:
- a deeply-rooted product-centric culture
- independent ownership and technical collaborative problem-solving
- data-driven lowest-level decision making
- the power of diverse perspectives
- carefully-curated processes that enable creativity and efficiency
- business problem-driven sprints
- learning-focused dev hours
- demo hours and town halls that integrate everyone company-wide
DAY-TO-DAY AT MEDSTACK:
At MedStack, we:
- are a remote-first company, with supporting tools and processes
- are not hierarchical
- empower our team members with distinct responsibilities and self-direction
- have high standards for professionalism
- are mission-driven, by the importance of our work in servicing the social benefit that results from our customers’ successes
- drive a culture of facts-first and entrepreneurship vs the status quo
- have stringent and bold objectives on diversity and inclusion
- meet virtually as a team weekly for a rousing celebration of wins and learning
- gather in quarterly Town Halls for alignment on objectives and vision
and our important work is supplemented by:
- flexible work hours
- a generous vacation policy
- health and dental benefits, from day 1
- parental leave benefits with bonus top-up
- a company stock ownership option plan, vesting from day 1
- bi-weekly paid-for team lunches
- company retreats and seasonal celebrations
- learning, skills training and industry conference opportunities
- a company-funded book budget
- company-supplied top-end Mac laptop
- a home office equipment budget
- contribution through the company’s ongoing success to philanthropy such as Upside Foundation
If you have 70% of the qualifications we are looking for, share our way of thinking and want to play an integral role in transforming how healthcare innovation works, apply to express your interest.
MedStack welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.